Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

A wonderfully happy day

Today, there are lots of tears being shed across north America. They are all tears of sheer happiness.

Today, baby Layla came home.

For most people bringing a baby home from the hospital is a happy and exciting time but not an amazing event. Why is this such an amazing event? Because little baby Layla was born at only 24 weeks gestation. She weighed under 2lbs. 2 lbs!

Layla's mom is also part of my message board i'm on. I am so thankful for 'meeting' all these moms through this board. When they created a board off the bump (which is how I found all these wonderful ladies when I was pregnant with austin) I thought that maybe I wasn't 'cool' enough to join them, but I took a chance. I signed up anyways. Let me tell you. I am so glad I did. I check in daily to see what is going on. There are just over 300 of us on the board. I don't think we could have found any greater 300 women. We are snarky and sassy. But we are also compassionate and there for each other. Heaven forbid you wrong one of us, there are 299 more who will fall in line to make it right. We're like a crazy sorority, we'll be there for each other until the end I'm sure. When Layla came into this world we rallied together. Layla's mom went into the hospital with pains she thought to be her galbladder and foud out that it was not, it was HELLP. Hearing all this and knowing that Layla was just at the cusp of viability we joined hands virtually. We sent out positive thought, we prayed, we reached out to others to help keep them in Their thoughts and prayers. We took up donations to help cover some of the expenses that come with having a baby in the NICU. We sent cards. Austin sent big sister Alaina a card saying congrats on being a big sister. Gifts were sent. I'm sure their mailman wondered what was going on because I'm sure there was a sudden increase of mail for them. Nothing made me feel more proud to be part of an online community as I have been the past few months. Some people just don't get online friendships (like some of our husband's and mine as well in the beginning) but I can say I would feel lost without my friends. Sure we may not go out and hang out weekly, but we talk every day.

This whole thing has stirred up so many emotions. Layla was only 2 weeks further along then our little girl. Hearing about her birth scared me, I'm not going to lie. I could just as easily be in her same shoes. And while I know the fear and worry I had, it was likely a million times worse for her family. Our board has been rooting for both Layla and her mom (both were given only a 50% Survival rate after her birth) and many of us wait impatiently for updates. We've helped with advice and to just be an ear of support when things got overwhelming. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's day would brighten seeing new pictures of precious Layla, or hearing that she gained another ounce. I started sharing with Dave all about Layla and her journey and he started asking me daily for updates on her. I would take a screen shot of the newest pictures and send it to him so he could see her beautiful face too. As soon as I get news about her I text Dave to let him know too. I cried when I found out that Layla was finally going to be coming home. I wish I lived in Oklahoma so I could get some Layla snuggles in, but I will have to do that from afar.

So today, Layla finally came home. Just shy of 3 1/2 months after her early delivery. She has beat the odds and is growing and fighting. She is an unbelievably amazing little girl who will do amazing things. If the past 3 months prove anything, she will be for sure. Please join me in welcoming home this amazing little girl! Leave a comment here and I'll make sure it's seen. This has been a long time coming and I am just bursting at the seams with happiness and pride that this tiny girl has overcome so many odds that were stacked against her.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post!! This brought tears to my eyes as my sister too delivered her oldest at 24 weeks. He was 2 lbs. He fought hard and never gave up. I am happy to report that he is a 5'10 15 yr old. He's an all star soccer and basket ball player and top of his class.
    These little
    Miracles have a purpose!!! WELCOME HOME LITTLE LAYLA!
    @missmeb8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this. Welcome home to beautiful Layla! So happy for her and her family. May God bless them always!

    ReplyDelete

Swidget 1.0

Wipe Your Paws

Wipe Your Paws